Job title: M&E Assistant (Volunteer Position)
Location: Amman, Jordan
Purpose: To assist the Monitoring and Evaluation team in quantitative and qualitative data collection, analysis, and management; and research.
Reporting to: M&E Coordinator
Commitment: Minimum, four days/week, minimum four-month commitment due to nature of the post
Starting Date: Between mid August and early September 2016 (to be discussed with applicant).
Benefits: Working with Capoeira4Refugees is an opportunity to help transform lives, work with an innovative and fast growing charity and be inspired every day
- Gain Monitoring and Evaluation, field experience
- Sharpen technical skills via the development and refinement of C4R’s M&E tools
- Build contacts through our network of partners
Seeking independent thinkers
“We are supporting you in what you are already good at, yes, but more importantly, we’re supporting you to use your judgement and act in the best interests of vulnerable young people to create transformational change”.
Tarek Alsaleh, Founder Capoeira4Refugees
Overview of Capoeira4Refugees
Capoeira4Refugees (C4R) is not a capoeira school. C4R is a social organisation that supports grassroots capoeira initiatives to help traumatised children and youth, particularly refugees. C4R’s approach is respectful to all capoeira styles and traditions, and we do not follow any particular school. Our goals include using principles of capoeira training, such as the development of confidence and self-respect, to produce positive societal impacts, such as decreased levels of violence and aggression, improved mental health, better school performance and increased positive behavioural choices.
Capoeira4Refugees was founded in 2007 working with street children in Syria (where it still has projects). C4R has been active in the West Bank, Palestine, since 2011 and in Jordan since 2014. Capoeira4Refugees Jordan is the Regional Office supporting operations in refugee camps, and community centres in Syria, Jordan and Palestine.
For further information please see http://www.capoeira4refugees.org/
This is a hands-on position, where the M&E Assistant supports all aspects of the M&E team. The role requires a proactive individual who is able to work independently and collaboratively with a team in a fast-paced and sometimes stressful environment. The Assistant will receive training on C4R’s evaluation methods, and will support the M&E Coordinator in organizing data collection and analysis; managing databases; and presenting data in visual and inspiring ways.
- Assisting with the M&E Coordinator and trainers on attendance data collection and database maintenance. Ensure that all relevant data required from each class, workshop or event are accurately recorded according to C4R’s attendance-taking guidelines.
- Organizing M&E schedule and logistics. Liaise with the Programmes Manager, trainers and partner organizations to carry out M&E activities. Assist M&E Coordinator in preparing internal and external reports.
- Assisting the M&E Coordinator in qualitative data collection and analysis. Duties include conducting and transcribing interviews, obtaining translation assistance (when necessary), organizing the storage and labeling of text, audio, video/photographic information.
- Contributing to the team’s ongoing literature reviews on topics pertinent to the organization’s key messages, including but not limited to refugee issues, child protection, etc.
- Background in the social sciences, international development, Middle Eastern or Peace and Conflict studies.
- Prior work or internship experience with non profit organizations.
- Proven qualitative and quantitative, desk research experience.
- Fluent in spoken and written English skills; basic Arabic.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Ability to give presentations to a range of audiences, including community stakeholders and donors.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced, and challenging environment, with strong time-management skills.
- Willingness to learn (basic) Capoeira.
- Ability to work independently when needed; organized with excellent attention to details.
- Strong interest in global current affairs, conflict resolution and peace building, and international development.
- Strong interest in sport for development and peace, and capoeira in particular.
- Fluent Arabic, and English; knowledge of basic Portuguese.
- Knowledge of capoeira.
- Can enter and exit Israel.
- A flexible and enthusiastic approach to work, including the thoughtfulness to work effectively with others in a collaborative workplace.
E-mail a CV (maximum two pages) and a cover letter (maximum one page) with the subject heading ‘Applying for M&E Assistant’ to mailto:email@example.com by July 7, 2016. Please provide desired starting date, duration of commitment, Skype ID, and LinkedIn link in the e-mail.
Capoeira4Refugees will only contact short-listed candidates.